500+words Essay on Rainwater Harvesting in English
This article enables the students to read an essay on Rainwater harvesting in English. Students may clearly understand the significance of water and they may try to prevent water pollution by following this method of rainwater harvesting.
As water is polluted by various sources. Some methods are used to conserve water. Rainwater harvesting is one of the methods to conserve water. It means to save rainwater from running off.
Rainwater harvesting is the best method of collecting rainwater or recharging the under groundwater levels with rainwater. Further, check dams may also be constructed where the rainwater runoff is situated.
The water is collected into closed metal or connected reservoirs where it can be stored throughout the year roofs of buildings or sheds or courtyards are provided with adequate water draining facilities.
Objectives of Rainwater harvesting:
The following are the various objectives of rainwater harvesting.
- To improve supplies from aquifer due to over explorations.
- To improve the chemical and physical properties of groundwater.
- To reduce water runoff and soil erosion.
- To increase the water availability from wells.
- To improve the condition and fertility of the soil.
- To conserve surface water runoff.
- For up-gradation of environmental and social status.
Watershed management:- Watershed management is adopted as a national strategy for integrated and comprehensive development of drought-prone and rain-fed areas.
Methods of Rainwater harvesting:
There are three methods of rainwater harvesting. They are:
- Rooftop rainwater harvesting.
- Surface rainwater harvesting.
- Rainwater harvesting using check dams.
- Rooftop rainwater harvesting:- Rooftop rainwater harvesting is the technique of collecting rainwater from rooftops and stored in a designed sump. Harvested water can be used for future use using a map the water is pumped to the overhead tanks.
- Surface rainwater harvesting:- The first thing is to keep the surface cleanly. The contour map of the locality is studied and the point with less contour value is selected. Then a network of drains will carry the rainwater to the point and store it.
- Rainwater harvesting using check dams:- Check dams are constructed in the areas where there is the availability of water is scanty from the ace and sub-surface sources.
Benefits of Rainwater harvesting:
The following are the various benefits of rainwater harvesting. They are:
- Increase in groundwater level.
- Rejuvenation of dried-up wells.
- Important in the quality of groundwater through dilution.
- Helps in reducing flood fury.
- The future generation is assured of water.
- Reduced dependence on external sources like bore wells, tankers.
FAQ- Questions on Rainwater harvesting:
1. What is Rainwater harvesting?
Ans:- Rainwater harvesting is one of the methods of water conservation. Rainwater harvesting is a technique of collecting rainwater and storing it in the reservoirs for future use.
2. What are the purpose of rainwater harvesting?
Ans:- The following are the various purposes of rainwater harvesting.
– To prevent wastage of rainwater.
– Rainwater harvesting has a positive benefit on cost ratio.
– Rainwater harvesting is the best supplement to piped water systems.
– To prevent groundwater depletion.
– It is pollution-free.
– It results in the conservation of water and also self-dependence.
– Rainwater harvesting can be effectively used to prevent water runoff.
Rainwater harvesting is an important method for conserve water and reducing water pollution. Therefore, we have a great responsibility to save water for future generations. I hope this essay on rainwater harvesting may help the students to know about rainwater harvesting.
Thanks for reading this essay on rainwater harvesting.
To read more essays please visit our home page.