This article will help students understand rainwater harvesting. The importance of water can be clearly understood through this article and they can try to prevent water pollution by following this method.
500+words Essay on Rainwater Harvesting in English
Water availability has been steadily declining in recent times due to the high water consumption that we do. So drinking water conservation is essential for the survival of our human race.
Although there are many ways to conserve water, rainwater harvesting is the best. By doing this, the excess rainwater can be stored and used according to future needs.
Rainwater harvesting is the best method of collecting rainwater or recharging the under groundwater levels with rainwater. Rainwater can be conserved by planting trees where there is a flow of rainwater. It can also protect fertile soil.
Rainwater is stored in tanks and roof-like structures and diverted to a reservoir or percolation reservoir. By following these methods we can avoid the overflow of the rainwater.
Objectives of Rainwater harvesting:
The following are the various objectives of rainwater harvesting.
- To improve supplies from aquifer due to over explorations.
- To improve the chemical and physical properties of groundwater.
- To reduce water runoff and soil erosion.
- To increase the water availability from wells.
- To improve the condition and fertility of the soil.
- To conserve surface water runoff.
- For up-gradation of environmental and social status.
Watershed management:- Watershed management is adopted as a national strategy for integrated and comprehensive development of drought-prone and rain-fed areas.
Methods of Rainwater harvesting:
There are three main methods of rainwater harvesting. They are:
- Rooftop rainwater harvesting.
- Surface rainwater harvesting.
- Rainwater harvesting using check dams.
- Rooftop rainwater harvesting:- Rooftop rainwater harvesting is the technique of collecting rainwater from rooftops and stored in a designed sump. Harvested water can be used for future use by pumping the water to the overhead tanks.
- Surface rainwater harvesting:- After cleaning an area, an inland area is identified and a system is constructed to allow rainwater to flow from the surrounding area to that area.
- Rainwater harvesting using check dams:- Check dams are constructed in the areas where there is the availability of water is scanty from the ace and sub-surface sources.
Benefits of Rainwater Harvesting:
There are a lot of benefits by rainwater harvesting. The following are the few benefits of them:
- Increase in groundwater level.
- Rejuvenation of dried-up wells.
- Important in the quality of groundwater through dilution.
- Helps in reducing flood fury.
- The future generation is assured of water.
- Reduced dependence on external sources like bore wells, tankers.
Rainwater harvesting is an important method to conserve water and reducing water pollution. Therefore, we have a great responsibility to save water for future generations.
FAQ [helps to write own essay on Rainwater harvesting]
1. What is Rainwater harvesting?
Ans:- Rainwater harvesting is one of the best methods of water conservation. Rainwater harvesting is a technique of collecting rainwater and storing it in reservoirs for future use.
2. What are the purpose of rainwater harvesting?
Ans:- The following are the various purposes of rainwater harvesting.
– To prevent wastage of rainwater.
– Rainwater harvesting has a positive benefit on cost ratio.
– Rainwater harvesting is the best supplement to piped water systems.
– To prevent groundwater depletion.
– It is pollution-free.
– It results in the conservation of water and also self-dependence.
– Rainwater harvesting can be effectively used to prevent water runoff.
Thanks for reading this essay on rainwater harvesting. I hope this essay on rainwater harvesting may help the students to know about rainwater harvesting. To read more essays please visit our home page.