This article contains a list of essays on soil pollution in English. This essay may help the students can clearly understand the soil.
Canon Pixma TS207 Single Function Inkjet Printer (Black)
Best printer for home and small business under 2500 rupees.
Low budget, High-quality printer for home, and small business use. It is a stylish and compact single-function printer with USB connectivity.
100 words short essay on soil pollution for students in English
Here, you can read essay on soil pollution in English. This essay is more useful to the students of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th classes as it contains only 100 words.
Soil is the upper layer of the earth’s crust which is formed by weathering of rocks. Organic matter in the soil makes it suitable for living organisms.
Dumping of various types of material especially domestic and industrial wastes, agrochemicals, causes soil pollution. Soil pollution affects humans, animals, and also the environment.
Our Government also launched many schemes to control pollution of soil. We also have a great responsibility to participate in the controlling of pollution of soil.
As. we are know how dangerous is soil pollution. We should follow some remedial measures to control soil pollution.
You can also read an essay on pollution in English.
250+ words Essay on soil pollution for students in English
Here, you can clearly understand the types of soil and causes of soil pollution. This article contains essay on soil pollution within 250+words which will help the students.
Soil pollution is a very seriuos problem facing by our country today.
Types of Soil in India:
The following are the various types of soil in India. They are:
Causes of soil pollution:
The following are the various causes of pollution of soil. Dumping of various types of materials especially domestic waste and industrial waste can cause soil pollution.
- Domestic waste
- Industrial wastes
- Sewage wastes discharge
- Usage of pesticides in agriculture
- Excreta from animals and humans
- Radioactive substances
- Domestic wastes:- Domestic wastes include garbage, rubbish materials like glass, plastics, metallic cans, paper, fibers, cloth rags, containers, paints, varnishes, etc. can cause soil pollution.
- Industrial wastes:- Industrial wastes are the effluents discharged from chemical industries, paper and pulp mills, tanneries, textile mills, steel industries, distilleries, etc. Thermal power plants generate a large quantity of Fly ash… Huge quantities of these wastes are dumped on soils, thus contaminating them.
- Agrochemicals:- Agrochemicals released with the wastes of pesticides and fertilizer factories or during agricultural practices also reach the soil and pollute it.
- Sewage waste discharge:- Discharging of sewage and industrial waste directly into the soil can cause damage to the soil and it affects human health.
- Usage of pesticides in agriculture:- Pesticides are used to kill pests that damage crops. These pesticides ultimately reach the soil and persist there for a long time. Pesticides that are persistent in nature are chlorinated hydrocarbon insecticides e.g, DDT, HCH, endrin, lindane, heptachlor, endosulfan, etc.
- Excreta from animals and humans:- Soil also receives excreta from animals and humans. The sewage sludge contains many pathogenic organisms, bacteria, viruses, and intestinal worms which cause pollution in the soil.
- Radioactive substances:- The sources of radioactive substances in the soil are an explosion of radioactive devices, radioactive wastes discharged from industries and laboratories, etc. can cause pollution of soil.
To read essay on water pollution in English click on water pollution.
500+ words essay on soil pollution for students in English
Here, you can read an essay on soil pollution within 500 words. This essay contain causes, effects and preventive measures of soil pollution.
As we are aware that the crop production depends on the fertility of the soil. If this gets polluted we can’t produce crops and we didn’t get food. That’s why we have to protect the fertility of the soil.
Causes of soil pollution:
Soil pollution is caused by the following activities. Most of them are caused by human beings. They are:
- Discharging of sewage waste directly into the soil can affect the fertility of the soil.
- Industrial waste discharge into the soil can cause soil pollution.
- Using fertilizers and chemicals in agricultural fields can affect the soil.
- Thermal power plants are generating a large quantity of fly ash.. can contaminate the soil.
- Activities of mining also cause soil pollution.
- Disposal of electronic waste into the soil can cause soil pollution.
- Nuclear waste disposal into the soil can cause soil pollution.
- Fuel and oil dumping can cause soil pollution.
Effects of soil pollution:
The following are the some effects of soil pollution.
- Sewage and industrial effluents which pollute the soil ultimately affect human health.
- Various types of chemicals like acids, alkalis, pesticides, insecticides, fungicides, heavy metals, etc,.. in the industrial discharges affect soil fertility by causing changes in physical, chemical, and biological properties.
- Some of the persistent toxic chemicals inhibit the non-target organisms, soil flora, and fauna and reduce soil productivity.
- These chemicals accumulate in the food chain and ultimately affect human health.
- Indiscriminate use of pesticides especially is a matter of concern.
- Sewage sludge has many types of pathogenic bacteria, viruses, and intestinal worms which may cause various types of diseases.
- Decomposing organic matter in soil also produces toxic vapors.
- Radioactive fallout on vegetation in the source of radio-isotopes that enter the food chain in the grazing animals.
- Some of these radioisotopes replace essential elements in the body and cause abnormalities e.g, strontium-90 instead of calcium gets deposited in the bones and tissues. The bones become brittle and prone to fracture.
- Radioisotopes which attach with the clay become a source of radiations in the environment.
- Nitrogen and phosphorus from the fertilizers in the reach nearby water bodies with agricultural run-off and cause eutrophication.
- Chemicals or their degradation products from soil may percolate and contaminate groundwater resources.
Preventive measures of soil pollution:
Soil pollution can be controlled by following the some measures:
- Effluents should be properly treated before discharging them on the soil.
- Solid wastes should be properly collected and disposed of by appropriate methods.
- From the wastes, the recovery of useful products should be done.
- Biodegradable organic waste should be used for the generation of biogas.
- Cattle dung should be used for methane generation. Nightsoil can also be used in the biogas plant to produce inflammable methane gas.
- Microbial degradation of biodegradable substances is also one of the scientific approaches for reducing soil pollution.
- Appropriate usage of chemicals and fertilizers in the agricultural fields by following the correct methods can help to reduce soil pollution.
Soil pollution is mostly caused by human activities. Everyone in the world has a great responsibility to protect the soil and reduce soil pollution. We have to follow some measures in our daily activities also.
FAQ- Questions on soil pollution:
1. What is soil pollution?
Ans:- Soil pollution can be defined as the presence of toxic chemicals, salts, radioactive components and disease causing components which affect the plant growth and human health.
2. How to we control soil pollution?
Ans:- We have to follow the below measures in our daily activities to reduce soil pollution:
– Stop pouring sewage waste like household waste into the land.
– Proper measures must be taken before discharging of domestic waste.
– Industries must follow the proper methods to separate the dangerous chemicals from industrial effluents.
– Adopting the organic methods of farming.
– Following appropriate farming methods.
– Making people aware of the disadvantages of soil pollution.
Thanks for reading the essay on soil pollution.
To read more essays please visit our home page.